Sunday, March 19, 2017

Character Development

I believe the next big part to think about for my film opening of course would be character development. How can I explain who this person is in such a short amount of time or how can I share his story and what he's been through but at the same time keep it short and sweet. I think that's going to be a very difficult part of the process because theres is a 2 minute limit on this video. I already am wasting about 15-30 seconds on the opening credit, and then i have to create the mystery and explain the situation, so fitting in where to tell the characters story and how to tell it will have to take a lot of planning. In an article about character development, Frank Daniel of Columbia University, states that "a story begins with character development." If the storyteller doesn't know their character(s) inside and out then the story will have no shot at success. Character development should also be created in a hierarchal form, meaning that the most important characters should be the first ones thought of and the lesser important ones after.

Then there is the fact whether or not you want to make your protagonist evil or good, energetic or lazy, loving or mean. It is all up to the writer to shape how this development goes. The audience may not always love the protagonist and that's okay. For example, in "Clockwork Orange", the villain is the protagonist but that's what makes the story what it is. In this article it is also noted that "hierarchy in screenwriting and writing can be broken up into four main classes: main characters, supporting characters, subplot characters, and one-string characters." 
So for my character, he is a late 30 year old white male, who was orphaned at the age of 8 after his parents died in a car accident. His father was a cop which is what led him to becoming one himself. He never had a lot of money growing up due to the fact that he lived in an orphanage for a long time. He is from Miami, Florida He is also a very hardworking person. Now I want to be able to incorporate most of those details in my opening so that the audience gets an idea of who my character really is. I'm going to try and think of a way to bring some of that up through dialogue or for certain things, such as the setting, I could maybe use props to show location. 
That is it fro now, hopefully I'll have a better understanding of my character the next time I post about the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment